Christmas is round the corner, and my bank account is not too impressed! The next few weeks isn’t improving either, multiple nights out, gifts still to buy, and NYE outfit still to purchase! Instead of giving everyone a present this year, I’ve decided to throw together some Christmas Granola for a few people instead. Cheap and cheerful, as well as giving a gift which involved more than just handing over my credit card! This recipe has a Christmas twist to it but can be enjoyed all year round!
- 4 cups of jumbo rolled oats (gluten free if required)
- 2 heaped tablespoon date spread (or date nectar)
- 1 heaped tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 cup buckwheat grouts
- Place the rolled outs in a large mixing bowl and pour over the oil and mix until you can see a light coating of the oil over the oats, then mix in the buckwheat grouts.
- Place the honey, date spread and apple sauce in a small pan on a low heated hob. Stir well until runny, but don’t let it bubble. Take off the heat and pour over the oats and stir well so the oats are coated all over in the liquid.
- Sprinkle over the mixed spice and stir throughout (if you want it very Christmassy flavoured add a tablespoon more).
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a large oven tray and spread the oat mixture evenly out to a thin layer.
- Place in the middle of the oven and cook for 45 minutes, checking and stirring it every 15 minutes. The oats should be evenly golden throughout, be careful not to burn them as they can turn quite quickly.
- For the last 15 minutes add the pumpkin seeds to the mixture to toast lightly.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave to cool. Add the cranberries and transfer to an airtight container.
I’ll be bagging this up ready for Christmas gifts in a few weeks, and no one needs to know it was so damn easy to make! Shhhh…!