Remember the advert where the shop bought Nutella pretends to be healthy? Yea, you know the one. Well I’m hoping as your on my blog you didn’t fall for it 🙏 🙈 because it’s definitely not healthy! To start, it’s lead ingredient is sugar, and its second lead is palm oil…. this my friend is why marketing can be genius (and shocking at the same time!)
Anyway, rest assured the 1st main ingredient in the below is Hazelnuts, so here’s to putting the NUT back in Nutella! Believe me, it’s worth spending that extra dollar on some hazelnuts, I get mine from Aldi at £1.79 a bag you can’t go wrong. You’ll need a pretty powerful food processor for this and if you live in a flat you may fall out with your neighbours may begin to hate you (it can get pretty noisy!)…🙊
- 1 cup hazelnuts (190g)
- 75ml water
- 80ml honey
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- Scatter your hazelnuts onto a baking tray and place in the a medium to low grill for around 8-10 minutes – keep an eye on them so they don’t brown too quickly. They should be medium to golden brown with their skins peeling like below
- Put the nuts into your food processor & mix for around 8-10 minutes until completely broken down and the mixture starts to turn very slightly wet (when the oils from the nuts are releasing).
- Next add the honey and cacao powder and keep blending for a further 2-3 minutes until well mixed and the mixture starts to combine even more.
- Next add half the water slowly and keep blending, the mixture may gloop together in your processor into a big ball, don’t be scared! add the remaining water and just let it keep going until it will eventually break down even further into more of a liquid form.
- Hopefully at this point it should start to resemble a smooth peanut butter kind of texture. I left mine slightly grainy and it is just delicious…!
- Enjoy on oatcakes, slab onto a banana, toast… or create into Freezer bites for an after dinner treat!