Hello 2018! And with it comes resolutions, must eat less calories, must exercise more, must give up….. Well, this year, I’m proud (yes proud!) to say I haven’t given up ANYTHING! 2018, is about setting myself goals and challenges (I have a big one set for April which you’ll hear about soon!) But this January I asked myself, why give up something I enjoy? Why not train myself to be better at balance? So, with that I will be going out in January with friends and perhaps just having the one glass of wine rather than half a bottle, and I will have that piece of chocolate on a gloomy January evening because damn it makes me feel better!
Speaking of chocolate… any one who reads my blog and recipes knows I’m partial to some good dark chocolate. I just couldn’t live without it!
So when I discovered Indigo Herbs I jumped at the opportunity to trial their Organic Chocolate Starter Kit. So with my goal setting, and challenge making, I’ve started the year off pretty damn busy, soooo this is when kits like this just got me shouting HALLELUJAHHHH as they’re so easy to make!
Each kit has the perfect amount of ingredients in it to just throw it all together, and it’s ready in less than an hour.
Plus, what i love about it is you can add your own touches by creating them in your own chocolate moulds, adding some chopped nuts, goji berries, or any other dried fruit for decoration. OR if you’re making it for a party or occasion I’d add a bit of edible glitter for a little more wow! So you can really feel like your own chocolatier.
So what do I really think?
At first I thought the kit was quite pricey, at £12.99 you COULD treat yourself to a fancy box of chocolates one might say? Ohhh no no no, once you try these for yourself you’ll just know there’s no comparison. Not only is the chocolate truly delicious, its all raw and so much more satisfying making your own creations. Plus, it makes a lot. This is the smaller kit and it has made much more than expected (about 24 chocolates). The texture is super smooth, with a lovely rich taste, and definitely not bitter.
So, here’s how to make it:
- Bring water to boil in a pan
- Remove the boiling water from the heat, and set the bowl on top of it.
- Allow the Cacao Butter to slowly dissolve and melt down to liquid. (This bit smells heavenly.) The Cacao Butter should not get hotter than 45 degrees Celsius to ensure the nutritional properties remain intact. Slowly melting the butter over hot water away from a direct heat source should ensure that this is the case.
- Stir the Vanilla powder into the melted Cacao Butter
- Next add the Cacao Powder and mix thoroughly until the mixture is smooth (Don’t worry about lumps just keep stirring vigorously and all will dissolve).
- Add in the Agave Syrup (or other sweetener) and mix thoroughly until completely blended (Counting to 100 ensures that the syrup is fully blended).
- Now add any other ingredients such as nuts, seeds, dried fruits or superfood powders and stir into the chocolate mix thoroughly
- Remember to add any dried fruit/ nuts etc to the chocolate moulds before spooning the mixture in so they sit nicely on the top, moulded bit of the chocolate, rather than the other end which will be a bit more rough around the edges! (this is actually the bit I forgot to do!!)
- Next is the fun bit; pour or spoon (depending on consistency) your Raw Chocolate mixture into the mould and allow to set (in the fridge, and take about 30 minutes to set properly).
- Now pop out your Raw Chocolates from the mould they’re ready for you to get stuck in! These are great little treats to take to a friends house or to keep in the fridge for when you’re craving a little treat!